Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Top 10 Disney Movies List

The Walt Disney Studios was founded in 1923, and since then, they have released many different childrens movies. Some of the movies had better reception than others, but a select few of the classics hold a special place in my heart.There are no movies from the 2000s on my list because I wanted to stick with the older ones. The following is my top ten personal list of my favorite Disney movies:


10) Hercules


While this movie tends to not be a favorite of most Disney fans, I found that I actually liked it. The storyline is simple as is the art, but it is a fun movie. Some of the songs, such as “I Can Go the Distance” or “I Won’t Say I’m in Love” are very enjoyable to listen to. I also really enjoyed the villain, Hades, god of the underworld. Hercules does have a few plot hole issues, but it is overall, a very entertaining piece.


9) Mulan


The idea of a Disney female character taking the lead as a warrior is very refreshing, which is one of the reasons why I enjoyed this movie. While I love the Disney princesses, it’s nice to see the company do something different with their head female. This movie has some very memorable songs, such as “Reflection” or “I’ll Make a Man Out of You”. The art style works well with the culture they chose, and the film is quite pretty in it’s own way.



8) The Nightmare Before Christmas



Yes, this is a Disney film, for those of you who didn’t know. Disney released this movie under Touchstone Pictures banner because they were afraid that the film would be too dark for kids, and they wanted to market it properly. Anyways, this is the only non-2D animated film on my list. And even though it’s style is very different from the others, it holds a great uniqueness about it. The songs are all so much fun, as is the storyline. I also love the fact that you can watch this movie at Halloween or Christmas, and it’s still festive at either holiday.



7) The Rescuers Down Under


This sequel to The Rescuers is highly underrated. It is a very fun adventure film with great characters and humor. The storyline itself is very simple, but it’s done with such enjoyable characters that you forget about the simplicity. The best part about this movie is definitely the comedy. Every time I watch this film, it still cracks me up. If you haven’t seen this movie yet, then I highly recommend it.



6) The Little Mermaid


This was probably my favorite Disney movie growing up, as Ariel was also my favorite princess. The movie has some amazing songs and an original plotline. In this film, the art style is actually quite simple with it’s linework when you go back to watch it. The characters are so much fun, and the antagonist, Ursula, has a great villain song. I have always liked this movie, and it will probably always remain on my top Disney movie list.




5) Toy Story


How could you not enjoy this movie? It is so incredibly unique and meaningful. This film connects so well to it’s main audience: children. And this is what makes it so wonderful. It captures the imagination of kids and puts it in the fun new perspective of toys. This movie is a part of a trilogy where the sequels are actually really good, which is incredibly rare for a Disney movie.



4) The Lion King


With its amazing voice acting and songs, this movie is easily one of the best Disney movies of all time. The story is interesting, as well as the character development. This movie also contains the saddest Disney death ever, and every time I watch this scene, it always gets me a little teary eyed. The moral is also really meaningful and incredibly relatable. Overall, it’s a very emotional, funny, and entertaining movie.



3) Beauty and the Beast


This movie is very well-paced, and the characters are very likeable. The songs are also very memorable. Belle is one of the best Disney princesses, and it’s fun to relate to her as she is the “weird” girl in the village. Gaston is one of my favorite villains because he’s fun and threatening as a true villain should be. I also find it interesting how in most other stories, Gaston would be considered the hero and the Beast a villain for entirety of the plot.




2) Aladdin


I really adore this movie, not only because it contains my favorite Disney prince, Aladdin, but it is also fun and adventurous. I enjoyed Robin Williams as the Genie. The storyline is very well-paced, and all the songs are memorable and enjoyable. Also, Jasmine is very favorite Disney princess.


1) The Hunchback of Notre Dame

This movie is absolutely amazing. The music, the art, the characters, the villain. Everything is stunning in this film. While it’s not accurate at all to the true story written by Victor Hugo, its plotline is still very enjoyable. My all-time favorite female Disney character Esmeralda is in this film too. I love all the songs (except the one with the gargoyles because they were the only thing wrong with the movie). It is probably the darkest Disney movie of all time, and that's something I really like about it. It's so gutsy of Disney to incorporate such dark themes into a kids movie.


Feel free to share your Disney top ten lists in the comments! :)

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes! The Hunchback of Notre Dame is my favorite Disney movie! I'm so glad someone else thinks so. It seems so under-appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually only seen Hunchback of Notre Dame once... I loved it, but the reason why is Judge Frolo is a dead ringer for my public high school art teacher...
    I actually can not pick a favorite Disney film... too many choices!

    ReplyDelete