Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Once


Let me begin by saying that I did enjoy this movie, but I felt there were a lot of things that were wrong with it that haven't necessarily been addressed. So, I'm going to talk about those.

The only thing about this movie that truly bothered me were the technical aspects. Almost every shot had a soft focus, and there was practically no regard for framing a shot properly. Some of the shots looked like they were filmed off of an iPhone. The editing was also sloppy and very amateurish. I know the angle of the movie is to go for the amateur look, but editing should really go unnoticed. Choppy editing ruined the immersion factor for me at some points. It's not like the audience needs to see how bad you are at these incredibly basic filmmaking techniques in order for them to understand that this is not a Hollywood production.

However, I could forgive the movies flaws because the pros totally outweighed the cons. Once showed a raw and realistic portrayal of two human beings sharing a common goal and tells a story of heartwarming determination and desire. The actors had great chemistry and made the story feel so much more real.

Overall I would probably recommend this movie, but I can't help but feel that it's a little overrated.


No comments:

Post a Comment