Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Music Videos

I really enjoyed Tuesday's music video class with Ballinger. One of the goals that I hope to accomplish in my career is to direct a music video. Music is one of my favorite hobbies, and I think that there's something really appealing about making  visual representation of a song. There's a lot of freedom you can take when making a music video because it doesn't necessarily have to follow a narrative and you can infuse a lot of surreal elements into them.

Michel Gondry (director of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) is one of my favorite music video artists. He does a lot of work for the White Stripes and below are examples of some of his best work. I think it's very cool that you can take a interesting concept like making a stop motion animation with Legos and put it to good use through music. You could build a short film around this concept, but it wouldn't be as effective. That's what I like most about music videos. They're a platform to test out kind of "gimmicky" ideas and bring them to life.

Here are my two favorite Michel Gondry videos for your viewing pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment