Thursday, September 5, 2013

Superheroes Uncensored: Kick-A** 2

A few days before I left to come to campus, I went and saw the movie Kick-A** 2 (can I spell that out here? Better safe than sorry). Now, being a huge superhero nerd, having read a few of the comic books, and after seeing the first move I was immensely excited to see this movie when it came out. I wasn't disappointed, but its definitely not a movie I'd refer to someone if they have a problem with it being...unrated. The amount of blood and gore, violence, sexual references, language, and promiscuity in the film definitely made it a bit of a turn off. But, at least for me, it added to the film. These movies are based off of a comic book where, despite being a superhero story, are set in a real world with real people. Not billionaires or aliens from other planets or someone with a magic ring. Its regular people who just want to make a difference. And real people would be scared when confronted with death, because thats it: there's no more action after that. There's real consequences and real scars to gain from the superhero profession. 


The blood and gore may be exaggerated, but it shows that death is real, and that it can be hard to be like Batman who doesn't kill when you only have your fists to defend yourself. Basic instinct takes over, and its you or them. Now, the 15 year old girl who was raised to be a superhero and knows how to kill a man with his own thumb is still outlandish, but the movie still holds the point. I think I really enjoyed the movie out of nostalgia more than anything, though. I thought The plot was all right, the cinematography was above average, and the acting was also pretty good. But what do I know, I've only just started to really understand film. My "review" is really only a biased opinion. But the movie did have some themes that definitely would be hard to miss. The world needs everyday heroes, not people who have to hide their faces. Vigilantes fight for what's right, but we can't rely on them to save us. It's our job to save each other, and fight the evil, because good and evil will always be an ongoing battle, no matter where you are. Its our responsibility to step up and fight the good fight and make a difference, even when we think we can't. So, despite how cheesy, mediocre, and vulgar this movie may come off, it does promote a message, and I think we should take at least that from this superhero film.

No comments:

Post a Comment