Thursday, September 19, 2013

Stray Dog

     Though long and somewhat tedious, I loved the movie stray dog. The plot was about a cute little rookie cop who got his pistol stolen by a man he spends the duration of the movie trying to find. Though exciting, the main thing that I loved about this movie was the lack of background music or any real action. As I sat, bored at the drawn out scenes, I realized that I had gotten so used to such action- packed thrillers that a beautiful film such as this actually bored me. It came as a shock because I found it so hard to stay engaged because of the lack of action, but that was the beauty of it.
     The movie didn't need any action to be engaging because to me it was the most real film I've ever seen. The daily toils and tasks of life were portrayed so accurately and I absolutely LOVED it. For a while I had always been wondering if there was ever going to be a film about someone's everyday life: we don't normally go through life with a dramatic soundtrack playing in the background while things explode randomly, we go through a mostly busy and quiet life that goes unnoticed by most. The cop was such a relate-able character and I connected with him instantly.
     In addition to the raw reality of the film, I loved the parallels between the cop and the man he was chasing, and the progression of the title of the movie. The crook goes from a stray dog, lost and unsure of what to do, to a mad dog with a narrow, one- minded track. Once he went on his killing streak, there was no stopping him. At the same time, the cop was a stray dog too. Lost and inexperienced, he just wanted to get his pistol back. By the end of the movie he avidly pursued the man, and would have been one- minded as well if his mentor had not kept him on an even level. 
     This film was beautifully shot, executed, and put together. It's a bit of a task to watch, but I would definitely recommend it to those of you who missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment