Monday, September 2, 2013

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog


So myself and the guys on my floor watched a film the other day called Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog. This not quite feature length film (42 min long) was a surprisingly good watch as it does several things you don’t see too often in film (at least I don't). First off, it's a superhero film where the main character is not the hero(Captain Hammer), but his arch-nemesis(Dr. Horrible). Second, the film is predominantly comedy, but has an interesting twist as an ending, which I won’t spoil in case you haven’t seen it. Lastly, as the title suggests it is a musical. Now I’m not a huge musical fan; when characters in a story just randomly break into song, my immersion tends to break into pieces, but that does not mean the songs were poorly written. The songs were implemented sometimes as a means to expedite the plot and other times to get a better feel for the tone of the story or characters and the lyrics are witty to boot. As far as I’m concerned, Joss Whedon and his crew get major props for taking a comedy musical about super heroes and villains and making it work well, because I certainly never would have thought of that combination. If you have 45min to kill, you should watch it sometime and feel free to tell me what you thought about it, especially the ending.



 

(SPOILERS)

 I personally like the ending a good deal as I believe it does justice to the main character’s status as an aspiring villain and is not a shameless cop-out happy ending.

      I'd also like to point out that this film was created exclusively for web distribution and received numerous awards. It is my opinion that the internet and the on-demand style of media viewing will soon render cable/satellite programming obsolete. Feel free to state your own opinions on the matter.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this one. It gave me so many feels :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!
    I totally agree with you about the ending. I love it when it isn't the ending you expect. Most films always end happily; but in real life, we don't always get a perfect, happy ending.

    ReplyDelete