Monday, September 2, 2013

ShawnDavidson

OHHH MYYY GOOSSHH!!.......*takes deep breath*...ok now that I've successfully vented my fit of rage over not being able to post to this blog since day one, let me get down to business. Now this is a story all about how my life got twist turned upside down and I....never mind. But seriously all fresh prince references aside, I would like to tell you some info about me. This...could take a while.

In the great state of Pennsylvania, if you travel far and deep enough, there is a small county called Lancaster. It is a pretty place and popular with the Amish. This little area of land is where I was originally born and raised(last fresh prince reference I swear). However I only spent the first three years of my life there and eventually moved around a few other states before landing in my current home, good ol' pure Michigan. I've had the chance to make lots of good life long friends in my travels and I hope to do the same here at Huntington.
As far as I can recollect I began drawing at the age of 2 when I drew Arthur read from Marc brown's children book series on the wall. When my parents asked my older sister about it she claimed she was innocent. Knowing she would not lie to them, that only left one other suspect....guess who. Turns out drawing became sort a passion for me. I've always been "the artist" in my family and it is a title I hold dearly. My years of practice and love of art really have helped me to hone my skill and find my own art style. One thing I like to do is look at my old comic books and pictures I used to draw when I was little and see how much I've improved since then.
I am a big fan of other art styles, such as manga, fine arts, etc...heck even doodle arts are interesting to see in my opinion. Some people in the field of animation entertainment I really look up to are Charles M. Shulz(creator of the peanuts comic strip and pioneer of the four panel strip), Max Fleisher(animator/inventor/mechanic/visionary extraordinaire),Osamu tezuka(creator of Astro boy and pioneer of manga). I also admire cartoonist Tatsuo yoshida for creating one of my favorite things ever: Speed racer. Of course I won't leave out Walt Disney(....ehh its self explanatory). I can't leave out the people at my favorite animation studio Pixar. One awesome person who works there would be John lasseter(writer and director of toy story) who won a special achievement award at the Oscars back in 1996 for his work in bringing 3-D animation to the public's eye.
Ever since I was a kid I've loved video games. If you believe regular animation is a great way to story tell then you should love video games in my opinion. Its like animation that you control and play with like a toy...fun right?? I thought so. Just some names I admire in video games are...Shigeru Miyamoto(creator of Super Mario Bros, The legend of Zelda, Donkey kong, the list goes on and on...long story short the dude's a legend), Koji kondo(he is the Shigeru Miyamoto of video game music), and Jordan Mechner(created a game called karateka back in 1984 while he was still in Yale college and animated it himself using classic rotoscoping techniques...pretty boss if you ask me...oh and almost forgot he created a little game you may have heard of called the prince of Persia lol).
All in all I've loved cartoons pretty much all my life. I grew up watching things like Toy Story, Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, Looney tunes and so forth. As I grew up, I started to appreciate what went into these great classics I loved so much and all the behind the scenes stuff. That's when I knew...*close up on face*...this was my destiny*choir and orchestral accompaniment. I've always tried taking different bits and pieces from animations I've seen growing up and putting them in my art. Whether it was Charlie Brown running to kick a football or a fight sequence from the Dragon's Lair arcade game, I've learned something from every great pioneer of animation/Art and added it to my style that I mentioned earlier. I would like to learn how to utilize the tools that I am given in the best way possible so that I can produce the best entertainment possible. In closing I'd like to say I also enjoy hanging out, good food, free style dancing, writing and reading(to a certain degree lol) and sports like dodgeball. I hope I can meet you all and whether you see me or I see you let's try to meet and greet each other and have a good time here at Huntington while we pursue the futures that God has so graciously set before us. Have a Blessed Day Everyone and to all farewell. P.s enjoy the artwork I've selected from my previous works. I've used 3 hand drawn and inked pictures and 3 computer drawn pictures for your pleasure :)

3 comments:

  1. Sorry bout the white words guys, by the time I remembered it was too late XD I cant seem to get the blogger to change it unfortunatley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig the sonic picture- he was the first video game I ever played (besides freddy the fish and pajama sam :3)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya lol I got history with all three games

    ReplyDelete