Monday, September 9, 2013

Rock Got No Reason, Rock Got No Rhyme

File:School of Rock Poster.jpg
Last night I got to watch "School Of Rock" in the MCA along with many DMA and non-DMA students. I had been sick over the weekend and I really wanted some entertainment to lift my spirits. Each time I see School Of Rock, I enjoy it.
I think it is great that School Of Rock has Rock music as it's theme and the kids have done an outstanding job in the movie. But in my opinion, it's all about Dewey. He keeps going through this phase of selfishness and fulfilling his own desire of making a band and "sticking it" to his former band, but at the same time keeps encouraging these 5th graders who play great music but have never been exposed to rock and helps them discover who they are. He encourages them in their talents and believes in them, something probably no teacher had done before him.
I think Dewey's character is very interesting. Even though he is the protagonist, he is not the "good guy". He is the guy who has been through some hard times, faced rejection from his band and his friends that he lives with. He doesn't have a job and has to pay the rent that he owes to his friend. But he never gives up on his dream to Rock. He lies to the school and the children in class about his identity and tries to make things work in the wrong way. But as they say, some people learn the hard way. However, he realises his mistakes and apologizes everyone, and in the end gets to have a band he always wanted, with a stylist, security and a manager! Now that's a talented class!
School Of Rock is a great comedy, packed with Jack Black's trademark funny faces, dialogues and his hilarious guitar solos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment