Thursday, September 19, 2013

I Am Justice!!!



Death Note originally was a manga written by Tsugumi Ohba  and illustrated by Takeshi Obata. The manga turned to an anime, and in (year) it was turned into a series of three live action movies.
               The premise of the story, is that there are Shinigami (gods of death). One is bored with life, and drops a death note into our world. Light, a super intelligent high school student, finds the notebook, and starts using it to kill off the worlds criminals. L, the world’s greatest detective, takes the case head on, trying to stop this mass murderer known as kira. Through a series of events, L and Light end up working together to solve the case.

                One of the points this movie (anime, manga, however you chose to hear the story) makes is, how over time, power corrupts. Kira started with criminals who were actually in the act of hurting someone, or had immediate power to. He then starts killing prisoners, and then even those just accused. Anything you do that he deems wrong will get you killed. All people fear him, some love and praise him for how he cleaned up society. He eventually thinks of himself as a god of this world because of the power he has, only to ironically have it taken away from him.

                This also shows us of our own flawed human society. Kira kills because he thinks he can make a perfect world, but as someone says to him ‘The system isn’t perfect, but neither are you’. The film also goes into the faults of our own system, one characters story starts with her family being murdered, but the killer got away with the deed.
So, if you are up for a wordy challenge, read the manga. If you want the story in less time, go for the first two films, and the third film if you liked L.

1 comment:

  1. My friend introduced this series to me in middle school days and I have yet to finish it. I feel so awful but every time I want to read it, I get through to maybe book seven or eight and then something comes up and I put it aside for a while. Then I forget what happened and have to start over again at book one. I think I read the first three books about five or six times. The farthest I got was maybe chapter seventy or something. It is the only manga that I actually payed any attention to. I'm glad someone else likes this series. Hopefully I can finally find out what happens in the end!

    ReplyDelete