Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hold Me.

     Hello! I would like five minutes of your time, and I promise to keep this a bit short, because there are many other wonderful posts I have to compete with that you simply must read! The first three minutes I would like to have you watch the video I have embedded above. It's a very emotional film, but a wonderful one nonetheless (I apologize if you don't fancy dubstep).
     

     After you have finished, please allow me two minutes to explain my thoughts. The band Delta Heavy has two music videos, one of which you just saw. The other is a delightful stop motion film that I might blog about later(if you want to look it up, it's called Get By). The purpose of both of the videos, I believe, is to delight, and yet somehow I find it hard to find any delight in such a tragic and psychedelic film as this. We all know the loss and grief that comes with losing a loved one, and I believe this video is quite a find. For one, I think the grief is portrayed in an interesting way. The intensity of the rhythm and cadences accurately reflect the pain and keep me interested while the subject of the film explores the memories of her deceased pet and grieves for it, while at the same time seeking consolation (hence the title "Hold Me," or is it the cat seeking consolation from her because of its tragic death?), with a rather insane twist. 
     For some reason, films done in such a psychedelic style resonate deeply with me and treat me to a special dose of impossibility that can only be accessed through the window into another's brain. I feel as though while I am delighted with this film and its wonderfully executed style, I am also challenged in the sense of my imagination and its boundaries. They say the limit of the human imagination is the sky, but I believe otherwise. I feel as though we cage ourselves by thinking too much. For example, if I told you to not think about an elephant, of course you are going to think of one. I believe that films such as these break the barriers of possibility and explore something that could not ever exist or even occur in the real world, in addition to delighting the viewer with nonsensical items and no physical boundaries or limitations of law, whether is be physics, legal, etc. The wonderful emotional intensity of this film always leaves me with that one last note, that desperate plea for help with an outstretched hand (or paw), echoing in the back of my mind.

     So I will leave you with this; does such a film as this delight, despair, confuse, or challenge you?

No comments:

Post a Comment