Sunday, December 8, 2013

West Bank Story



I saw this short film for this time in our DMA class. I thought it was hilarious and amazing. However, my friend Mark Houck pointed out that it was a parody of a musical film titled West Side Story, which I later discovered was actually an adaptation of Shakespeare's classic, Romeo and Juliet. However, before I did the research, I could see some elements of Shakespeare's classic in it. The love story of David and Fatima and their families disapproving of their union, and the clash of the families because of their differences all reminded me of Romeo and Juliet.
However, I really liked the way the makers altered the Jews and Arabs into it. Although there were key issues and differences being highlighted in the film, the humor kept everything subtle. The names of the restaurants were also very creative and funny. What I liked the most were the songs in the film. I think the songs were very good and well written to keep the humor alive in that aspect. The choreography was also very well done. The use of props to define both the Jews and Muslims was great because it was easy to differentiate between the two. I think that the acting was also very good. No wonder this film was nominated for an Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment