Sunday, December 8, 2013

Vanity, Vanity

I wrote this after reading the Pilgrims Progress which is one of my favorite books.  =]

Mirror, mirror on the wall
Oh the fairest of them all
I look into you and all I see
Is the vanity inside of me

All day long, I meet your glare
All day long, I sit and stare
My eyes are drawn into your trap
Like a tired child into a peaceful nap

 I dare not play your games no more
‘Cause in my looks I am not poor
I choose to look inside for truth
Not to fame, to money, or youth

Time has uncovered your true nature
You are meaningless, and so immature
Your face is plastered on every page
Of every magazine and on every stage

You claim to love the ones you serve
But they serve you and all your ­nerve
Your voice is heard in every street
You plead your cause to everyone you meet

Vanity, vanity is your name
Taking people’s lives is your game
You have no soul, no mind, no heart
Yet we are beaten before we start

You know your trade; you do it well
You see your fans and how they fell
I’ve been set free from you
There is nothing that you can do

I aim to tell every lost soul
That beauty in Christ can make them whole
To find true beauty in him they must search
Not in a man, nature, or even church

I’d tell them, “Christ holds the key
To set you free
Reach out your hand
Reveal the lock
Let him be your ever firm rock

He longs to hold and complete your life
To take away all your pain and strife
No longer will vanity hold you in prison

For you are free because Christ has risen”

No comments:

Post a Comment