Sunday, December 8, 2013

The cheap man's blog credit

So this is a post I put on Facebook so I decided to be cheap and use it for credit....if you've read it already just keep scrolling I guess. :)

**Spoilers Ahead** PLUS THIS IS A LONG POST SO IF YOUR'RE NOT INTERESTED YOU MAY WANT TO KEEP SCROLLING. Its been a while since I talked on this subject but I feel I can bring it back to light. Originally when I saw this movie in theaters, I arrived late and had missed a good portion of the beginning scenes. Add the fact that I was skeptical of the need for a spiderman reboot in the first place. The result...I was less than thrilled with the film and held onto my belief that Tobey maguire's spiderman still remained the superior version.

One year later....

I've recently re-watched the film from beginning to end and have quite a different feeling about it now. 
Firstly I applaud the beginning scene of Peter parker's parents leaving him with his aunt and uncle after their house is ransacked-it gives the audience a sense of mystery surrounding peter's parents and establishes why he grows into the awkward, lonely kid we see in high school.

Another point-Okay this gripe is one I've heard a few times so get ready when I say: The phrase "with great power comes great responsibility" is never actually SAID throughout the whole movie. At first I like others thought this was a problem but...I've come to the conclusion that they never really had to put it in...why?...because even though thats kinda spidey's mantra, the ideal of it is hinted throughout the film and that actually makes YOU as the viewer think of it instead of the phrase just being thrown at you once and never elaborated on at all. Plus we see peter's steps to becoming more and more responsible as the film progresses so we get to witness him go from revenge fueled to understanding his place and role as a hero...cool right?

Point 3-ANDREW GARFIELD. ANDREW FRICKIN GARFIELD. You know at first I didnt like how this guy played peter but know that I've taken it from a new viewing perspective I can say that his performance really grew on me. I'll point out now that Tobey Maguire's performance will always have a place in my heart...HOWEVER...I cannot deny that garfield's interpretation has a lot of merit. I compare garfield's version of peter/spidey to Michael Keaton's version of bruce wayne/Batman in tim burton's 1989 film simply in terms of realistic portrayal mixed with staying true to the characters we all know and love. Both actors did an excellent job of showing us how the characters we've known forever would act in everyday life while still doing the things that make them memorable to us. Garfield makes peter more of how a REAL teen boy would act, he's nervous, he tries to stay relaxed, he's a loner and kind of struggles with that, he's awkward with girls(even after he has a girlfriend), he has a sort of "lost soul" demeanor at the beginning of the film, he struggles with guilt for uncle ben's death in a very vengeful manner as many guys probably would given the power to avenge someone they loved. These attributes are very visible to me when I watch Garfield act as peter. Now when he's spidey, he's just fantastic. He greatly captures the witty, trolling nature spidey always had from his first comics to this day. Want proof? Read one of the original spidey comics and then watch the "car thief scene" on youtube, you'll get it then. 

Lastly-Peter+Gwen Stacy. For all of you who watched this and were surprised that mary jane watson was not peter's love interest...the movie's right and you're wrong lol. In the comics, gwen was actually peter's love interest in his college days at ESU before meeting Mary Jane. Even after meeting MJ,pretty as she was, Peter still had feelings for gwen and this film did a good job of staying true to the comics as far as Im concerned.

Overall the film is great and Im looking forward to the next film coming out next year, its sure to be the hit of the summer. Thanks for reading(or skimming I guess), God bless and Aristos Axiom.

No comments:

Post a Comment