Saturday, December 7, 2013

Step Up

Step Up  starring Channing Tatum features a world of dance and danger. The characters are ambitious and choreography is intense. What more can you ask for? I will tell what. I believe the film lacked a realistic edge. Sure the setting was great and had some realistic events but not all of it felt real. The major thing that upset me was the fact that Channing Tatum's character always wore baggy jeans and the female protagonist Nora didn't force him into practical dancing pants. So here we have Channing Tatum performing fan kicks in a pair of baggy jeans. If you have ever danced or done a fan kick before you can realize the impossibility of performing a perfect fan kick in  a pair of jeans- make those jeans baggy and it becomes a disaster. In essence I believe that the wardrobe department of the film performed a mediocre job.



Seriously! Look at those jeans! Its impossible! This wardrobe inadequacy makes the whole film lose authenticity!


Other than the slight alteration in wardrobe I believe the film contained some intense moments. The final dance competition  was filmed very fluidly and utilized a very smooth pacing in editing. It felt as though there was no edits - which is great. I love musicals and dance movies and I have to say that this film was mediocre. The story line didn't really make a whole lot of sense at times but that could just be my lack of understanding too. I just felt as though it made no sense for Tyler to be hanging out with the wrong side of the tracks when he had a good back ground and younger siblings who looked up to him. But I guess that is how life can be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment