Saturday, December 7, 2013

Car Scenes

My favorite car scene occurs in the movie Wanted  which stars Angelina Jolie and Morgan Freeman. The 2008 film features a group of assassins who kill based upon a list decreed by fate. The scene occurs as Angelina Jolie's character chases the main protagonist  for the sole purpose to take him to the leader of the assassins (Morgan Freeman). The fact that the audience receives several different perspectives through the shots is an amazing thing. The cuts are motivated by action as well as sound. The frantic scene occurs and is illustrated by the fast edits, quick camera movements, and ambient sounds. The reason that this scene is my favorite edited car scene resides within the fact that Angelina Jolie sweeps in and literally sweeps the male character off his feet. I have watched that section frame to frame and I cannot figure out how the filmmakers were able to create that look. I want to say that there were wires involved, an obvious stunt double, and more but I just don't know.

My senior year of high school I was received the opportunity to Skype with one of the producers of This Means War,which stars Reese Witherspoon and Chris Pine. Michael Hendrickson revealed that in This Means War, which happens to be one of my favorite Chick Flicks, they performed their car scene utilizing a green screen and Toyota Toy Cars. I was flabbergasted! It was gorgeous and amazing and I would never have imagined that is what they did. So now I am back with the possibility that they did the same thing with Wanted I just do not know and it bugs me. But none the less it is still my favorite car scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment