Sunday, December 8, 2013

Capote and the Non-Fiction Novel

I recently watched the movie Capote starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  The movie is about Truman Capote and his research for his book, In Cold Blood.  In his research he talks to the men responsible for a gruesome quadruple murder, and develops a friendship with one of the killers, Perry Smith.  It was a good movie once you got over Truman Capote’s voice. 
            It was ironic that I watched it when I di because I had recently had a conversation with a friend about how history books would be less boring, maybe even enjoyable if they were written in narrative form.  The reason this was ironic is because Truman Capote’s book, In Cold Blood, is a nonfiction book.  It is based completely on fact just as a history book is but his book is written in narrative form, Capote called it the non-fiction novel.  This book is considered by some to be his greatest work and he was responsible for Breakfast at Tiffany’s.  The book was a huge success and it proved my point, people wanted to read a book of facts about a historical event because it was written. 
            It started as just a thought but now it is a belief, if history books were written as novels more people would read them.  They would still get all of the facts but they would be entertained while reading them.  I someday hope the non-fiction novel gains popularity I think it would really help students learn, but that’s just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment