Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Place for Bad Movies

We’ve all seen them, bad movies, there are literally hundreds and when I say bad movies I don’t mean movies like Spiderman 3 I mean movies like Manos: Hands of Fate and The Room.  I’ve heard people say that these movies are an insult to the profession and that they hate them.  But I love the fact that these movies exist, and the reason why is a little gem called Mystery Science Theatre 3000 or MST3k for short. 
            This show makes bad movies sometimes more enjoyable to watch than good movies.  Here is how it works,  MST3k takes a bad movie and makes jokes and wisecracks about the movie, making the movie hilarious. Here is a clip of some of their work to show what I am talking about.


            They took this horribly awful short film about springs, of all things, and made it into something one can enjoy watching.  They did this with movies and shorts for years, but sadly the show no longer exists, or doesn’t it.

            May I introduce to you Rifftrax.  Rifftrax are audio files doing the same thing to movies that MST3k did, only they do them for all kinds of movies, good, bad, and mediocre.  It's still the same people doing the jokes and it's still hilarious, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment