Wednesday, November 13, 2013

IS LINK DEAD IN MAJORA'S MASK!!?(games as art)

     Sounds crazy right? Well the Game Theorists seem to think this is a distinct possibility. If you want to find out why, I suggest you watch the video which I posted below for your convenience, but the reason why I decided to blog on this is not really because I wanted to talk about that particular subject matter, but rather I wanted to talk about how this video is a compelling look at The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask as a work of video game art.
     Majora's Mask has always been my favorite Zelda game, but still I never noticed the shear amount of symbolism in it. This video was really eye opening for me, and, whether you agree with the theory or not, shows just how much thought goes into the production of a good story, much like the way we looked at It's a Wonderful Life earlier this year. 
     After watching this video it's hard to justify any beliefs that video games cannot be artful. The shear fact that there are multiple interpretations to this game at all make it art as far as I'm concerned because one of the great staples of good art is that different people will walk away from the same piece with different experiences. Also you can skip the first 1:20 of the video because it's just a PSA about how stupid YouTube is right now.



1 comment:

  1. I believe I actually read an article about this, I did not realize what the themes were until that point, though its still obviously dark...
    I do have to disagree with your favorite choice of Zelda game... Too many times did I lose all progress in one section, twice from a power out, and then from a game bug...playing was just not the same after that.

    ReplyDelete