Saturday, September 7, 2013

Contrast makes the song go round





Yesterday I showed my friends a movie called Music and Lyrics. It has become a classic in my house hold back in Wisconsin. While watching it this time, because of the blog, I stopped for a second during the movie and asked myself the following. "Why do you like this movie so much Lance? Is it just nostalgia? Were you dumb for choosing this movie to show your friends?" Then I realized that there was a very good reason why I chose this movie, because it has great contrast.


We start the movie with matching a music video with Alex Fletcher. He once was a super star singer of the 80's pop sensation POP. Now he has lost all popularity and he is barley staying afloat financially. He is a quick witted man who will do about anything to get his popularity back. He is told that if he can write a hit song for the 2nd most popular singer in the world in a week, he will not only become popular again, but also get a huge paycheck. Sadly he is terrible at writing lyrics so he is in trouble. Then we meet Sophie Fisher, a girl who likes to talk a lot, who works at her sisters weight loss center, and who happens to have a gift for writing. Alex convinces Sophie to help him with the lyrics. 

Enough about story. Now what makes this great is that they are both complete opposites. Alex is the type to just do what it takes to get it done, while Sophie is the type to put her heart into everything she does. Also Alex thinks the melody is what makes the song, while Sophie thinks the lyrics makes a song great. The contrast between these two characters MAKE this movie. It is so FUNNY! That is why it is a classic. It makes two characters on opposite sides of the spectrum work together on something they both love, music. 

Ultimately, through some trials, they make a song that they both love, Way Back Into Love. There are some big things that happen after this but I think I have already over stayed my welcome. understand that opposites attract. (I like chick flicks)


As an added bonus, here is a remade version of the song that i listen to all the time. 


1 comment:

  1. OMG this is one of my favorite films! When it came out, I fell in love with the songs and the characters that I saw the movie twice and bought the album. It has a lot of charm that I think most movies now don't really have. It's no Oscar winner, but it has heart which is all that counts. I'm glad someone out there likes this movie as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete