Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Flying Man

Recently I found this short film called “The Flying Man.” It’s a well done film all the way through, but the most interesting thing for me was the beginning. The mystery of it was very unsettling and every new detail made me a little more frightened. The filmmaker did a really good job showing how the public would react to something like this and the hopelessness against such an enemy.
Then it’s revealed that the flying man could actually be a good, as he only targets criminals. This put me off at first, as I loved the idea of a powerful, mysterious villain. Then I realized how interesting it was to have such a complex character, where the main character we follow after the beginning is a criminal, and yet I root for him and not the “superhero.” Although the vigilante’s intentions may be good, he abuses his power in a way that enforces his own sense of cruel justice. I thought it was really interesting how the flying man is causing panic and worry while seeming to try to create safety. The suspenseful perspective of the civilian and of the common criminal is one we don’t often get to see in superhero movies.    

Also if anyone understands the ending let me know because I don’t  

2 comments:

  1. That totally rocks! The ending is left for you to decide- did the vigilante spare him and go to remind him, or did he return to finish him off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on youtube's geekweek when it came out! Such a good short. I love how it sort of analyzes how we would react to a super-powered vigilante if we didn't have any communication or back story for them.

    ReplyDelete