Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Bunny and the Moth

Even though I didn’t know it was a female bunny, I still got some things out of the short film we saw in class.

One interesting thing I saw in the film was the reversal of what I consider cute and ugly. At the beginning of the film, I really did not like the moth because I thought it was ugly. I wanted the bunny to get it out of its house immediately or even swat it and kill it. Moths are just hairy, gross butterflies. On the other side I think bunnies are adorable. The furry paws grabbing the kitchen supplies at the beginning was the definition of cute.

But as the film went on, these sides reversed, as I started rooting for the innocent moth. And while the bunny definitely didn't become ugly, its irrationally strong anger towards the moth did. The cuteness of the rabbit was replaced by bitterness. This did make me pity the rabbit though, and I was glad when it could become as beautiful as the moth at the end. While the furry rabbit struggled with a walker in its old age, the ugly moth still had the beautiful traits of flight, movement, and freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment