Saturday, September 7, 2013

Reservoir Dogs - Tipping Scene

In the beginning scene of Reservoir Dogs, the gang is at a restaurant finishing their meal and it's time to cough up some money for the tip. Mr. Pink, played by Steve Buscemi, who is also in Boardwalk Empire, refuses to pitch in his share. He says that he doesn't believe that he should automatically tip just because society says he should. Mr. Pink says that it isn't fair that waitresses should get tips, but other people that work at McDonald's or other food venues typically don't get a tip. He asks why it is acceptable to tip waitresses and not the others. Mr. Pink says that he will only tip if they actually do a good job and put forth the effort to give good service. 


The others in the group disagree with him and say that waitressing is a hard job. Mr. White says that it is the number one job for women without college degrees because they can live off of the tips. 


I always tended to agree more with Mr. Pink about tipping. Especially if I didn't get good service, I normally only give the waitress my loose change. Today, a group of friends and I went to Applebee's for their half off apps. The waitress took almost fifteen minutes to take our order, another thirty for our food to finally arrive, and fifteen minutes to get our check. The restaurant wasn't crowded at all, and the week before, we came with even more people but our service was much faster. There was a group that came in after us and left before us which I thought was very strange. In this instance, I didn't feel that the waitress really deserved a good tip. Maybe they think that since we are young teenagers, that we aren't going to tip well anyway so what's the use in even trying? 


I have worked at minimum wage jobs where I have served food but have never gotten any sort of tip. I think that waitresses probably do work hard, but that doesn't mean the people at McDonald's or anywhere else don't work as hard. It's not fair to just tip waitresses and not tip everyone else. Unless the waitress deserves the tip. What do you think?




1 comment:

  1. Actually, waitresses make less than minimum with the expectation of tips. They even declare a percentage for tax purposes.

    I waited table through half of art school so I make sure I top well when the service is good . . Or busy. But I feel no obligation to give a good tip for lame service

    ReplyDelete