Friday, September 13, 2013

Once a Beast, Always a Beast




     So, I watched Akira's film "Drunken Angel" and I have to say, I was surprised that I liked it so much. I have to be honest, when it first started, it was slow going and I was kinda bored. But once the plot was straightened out and things eventually started happening I actually liked it quite a bit.
     As you've probably seen from the other bajillion posts about this movie, it is about a doctor and a Yakuza member who at first hate each other but then form a relationship together. All thanks to TB. I thought TB was super highly mega ultra contagious but nobody seems to worry when they're like, 2 inches from his face about getting it. But anyway, I noticed they kept flashing back to the swamp-puddle of nastyness and finally the doctor said "That puddle is like your lungs". Then there was the part where Matsu was opening a crate on the beach and himself coming out to chase him. I enjoyed the symbolism of these two scenes.
     Not sure about you but the end of Matsu kinda surprised me. I expected him to either A) Beat TB and live or B) Die of TB. Not get stabbed and die. It was sad to see him progress in his life just to get killed by a guy who looked like George Takei. Which reminds me, Matsu reminds me of an American Johnny Depp. As I digress, lol, the ending of the movie sort of lost me too, I mean, it ended so abruptly. I know some will disagree but that's how I felt. It was a good ending, but I like to tie all loose ends off if possible. Like, what happened to Okada and that girl the doctor was harboring? Maybe it's just me.
     All around it was a structurally sound movie and I'm glad I went to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment