Monday, September 16, 2013

Faculty Art Gallery Blows My Mind



         I was absolutely blown away with the artistic talent and beauty shown at the art gallery! I really appreciated the opportunity to observe the faculties’ art work and talent. As a student I have repeatedly been told the accomplishments and credentials of the faculty that teach within the DMA program, but hearing and seeing are completely two different things. Sometimes a person’s reputation exceeds ones actions and I am glad to report that this was not the case! The faculty did a superb job in their creations and I am so glad that I attended!

Films

In complete honesty I was anxiously anticipating observing Professor Dawn Ford’s work, and she did not disappoint! I had the opportunity to watch some of her PBS show dealing with gardening and I absolutely loved the cinematography and the various angles. Hell’s Bells poster attracted my immediate attention because the poster graphic resonated power and intrigue through the deliberate color and composition as well as the bold font. Upon watching Professor Ford’s video reel I was immediately captivated by the vibrant colors in Hell’s Bells and I have put this film in my top films to watch list. I am pretty giddy with anticipation to watch this film! I also enjoyed seeing images from Thieves Rush In and some behind the scene images with Professor Ford, it painted a picture of reality and implemented some of Professor Dawn Ford’s history. Her video reel spoke volumes! I also immensely enjoyed learning new techniques, had a very insightful conversation with Rich Ford, and talked editing, which if you know me I normally won’t shut up about that!

                I also got the opportunity to observe Dr. Lance Clarks wedding cinematography and enjoyed observing the different techniques and objects he focused on. His video reel implemented the idea of capturing memories while also capturing and noticing the small things in a ceremony, which is typically the most sentimental. He had some very powerful shots.

                                                               Animation

 
 
 
 
 
 
The simplicity of the character's action really struck a chord with me. I appreciated the complexity involved within such a simple action and the lack of a plot did not bother me. It actually epitomizes human curiosity which further captivated my attention.

 
 
 
On the other hand I am a sucker for a good plot and the storyboards I saw at the art gallery satisfied my need for a story. The illustrations were amazing and I am fortunate to have seen them! It was at this exhibit that Amanda and Rachel informed me about the differences between 2D and 3D animation.

 
I thought the puppets displayed in the video reel were composed very well and I loved the communication that occurred between the characters.
 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
I have to say I was also impressed with the clay objects. In the past I have attempted to create some kind of clay form and they have turned out pretty bad … I am not very good with play dough either, so I have a lot of respect for those sculptors out there! They were the perfect combination of delicacy and imagination.

 
 
I feel extremely blessed to have had an opportunity to attend the art gallery and observe the wonderful art. I also feel extremely blessed to be learning under the guidance of these great faculty members!

 Feeling Blessed,
Randi Orr

 

 

               

 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment