Sunday, September 15, 2013

Drunken Angel

A few nights ago, I was able to watch Drunken Angel by Akira Kurosawa at Signs and Wonders. At first, I did not know what to expect so I kept an open mind. And you know what? I actually enjoyed watching the film!

Okay, a quick summary of the film:

A small Japanese village is run by the yakuza or the gang and it is run by Matsunaga. As he is dying from TB there is this alcoholic doctor that cares about him despite Matsunaga being a yakuza and not setting his priorities straight. Throughout the story the doctor sympathizes with Matsunaga because he reminds him of when he was younger. As the story progresses Matsunaga changes from being a cold-hearted person to a caring patient. At the end of the story, despite him respecting his doctor and showing signs for improvement - he still died an idiot because once a beast always a beast. 


One of the things that I really enjoyed this in this film is its symbolism and parallels. One being that every night the guitar player would play his regular tunes which welcomed the mosquitos. But when Okada comes back to the village he takes the guitar and plays his own tune - symbolizing his cruel dominion once again. Another being that the swampy lake represented Matsunaga's sickly condition and the shop lady's encouragement to come away with her to the countryside where there are clear streams and rivers. There are many more symbols and parallels I just don't really want to write on them all because a) my classmates have already blogged on them and b) I need to do other homework. 

Moreover, I really liked the dynamic relationship between Matsunaga and the Doctor. I loved their comical banter and the fact that they enjoy each other's company despite what they would say aloud. 


Overall, I enjoyed Drunken Angel and plan on watching more of his films at Signs and Wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment