Monday, September 9, 2013

Battle Royale

This is by far one of my favorite movies of all time. As much as a huge fan I am of The Hunger Games (More so the books then the current movie franchise (BUT JENNIFER LAWRENCE THO)), Battle Royale is a different cup of the same tea. The basic plot line is in the not so distant future, the youth of Japan are out of control, and so to regain some of it, the government passes a law that allows one class of students to be abducted and imprisoned on an island, left to kill each other until one student remains. The Hunger Games aside, this plot has been used many times before with many variations, but Battle Royale does it best.


What I love about Battle Royale more than anything is just how out-of-control it is (deliberately so) and how it’s just seething with this frenetic energy that makes it completely captivating. The scene where the students wake up to find themselves trapped and realizing the reality of their predicament is so full of realistic panic and frenzy that it makes you feel breathless just watching it. It’s one of my favorite scenes of all time just for the mayhem.

I don't want to say to much as to spoil the movie, I’m not saying too much about the movie, because some of the best moments in it take you completely by surprise (the lighthouse, for instance), so you should really, definitely, absolutely track down a copy of it for yourself sometime!

1 comment:

  1. My english teacher in high school told me that this movie was similar to the Hunger Games trilogy. I've always wanted to watch it! I think it's no Netfilx so that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete