Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Great mouse Detective and A Game of Shadows

            Recently I watched the movie The Great Mouse Detective.  I watched it because I had always remembered loving it as a kid and I hadn’t seen it in like ten years.  Upon watching it I realized two things about it, one it was still great, and two it has the same basic storyline as Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.
            The Great Mouse Detective is obviously based on Sherlock Holmes.  Just looking at the cover of the movie will tell you that.  But the extraordinary thing is how well it lines up with Game of Shadows.  From here on out my blog will contain spoilers for both Mouse Detective and Game of Shadows so be warned.
             In The Great Mouse Detective a little girl’s father is kidnapped by the criminal mastermind Professor Rattigan.  The little girl seeks out the brilliant but eccentric Detective Basil.  With the help of Dawson, a military doctor, Basil defeats Rattigan, but not before falling into a trap at a shady nightclub, winning a game of chess in his mind and falling from the top of Big Ben but then reappearing miraculously alive.
            In a Game of Shadows, Sherlock Holmes is trying to stop the criminal mastermind, Professor Moriarty, and with the help of Watson he does so, but not before almost being killed in a trap at a shady nightclub, winning a game of chess in his mind and falling from a tall cliff and reappearing miraculously alive.

            In looking at the two movies I think I can’t really decide which I like better, but I tend to lean toward mouse detective simply because Detective Basil’s survival is much more believable than Holmes’s which is ridiculous because Mouse Detective is a cartoon.  Even so both movies are great and should probably be watched together.

No comments:

Post a Comment