Monday, September 9, 2013

Exam



Exam is one of those films that its best not to know too much about it before you watch it. Even watching the trailer in my opinion could give a bit too much away. Having that said, I'm going to continue to say a bit too much. This movie is one of the best movies I have ever watched so I would actually recommend that if you are going to watch it that you watch it before you read this.

Exam is the best phycological thriller I have ever seen. It is about eight people taking an Exam in the final round of an application process for a dream job. None of them know what the job is and the test is blank. Now they must work together to find the question, but when it comes down to it they must decide what they are willing to stop at to get the job. It is an IFC film and its a great example of how story is the most important part of a movie. The cast is made up of ten people and the set is one room. The budget had to have been tiny but the production value and story was great. The pacing was fantastic and the writers surprised me over and over again.

This movie isn't one to fall asleep to. It requires an active brain to try and guess what will happen next even though you will never even come close to being right. This movie challenges you and for me that's one of the reasons I watch movies. It doesn't only challenge you by trying to get you to guess what will happen but it poses a great and hard question: What won't our society do for selfish gain? We see people everyday all over the world doing horrific things to others for minor gain in their own lives. We have become so desensitized to empathy that we no longer considered others. This movie plays with the idea of is it ok to do anything we want to get anything we want but (spoiler) it ultimately redeems itself at the end with a twist I won't mention. So if you want a movie that will make you think and challenge you then I strongly recommend Exam. You won't be sorry.

1 comment:

  1. I love Exam. It is one of my favorite movies as well and was a real mind blower to watch and try to anticipate what would happen next. I also recommend it to everyone to watch because it does really challenge you.

    ReplyDelete