Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Bill Viola

We looked at some of Bill Viola’s work today, like the one with the slow motion video of a man jumping into the water. I don’t think that I understood the spiritual or emotional meaning I was supposed to. By the end of the sequence, instead of reflecting on the work or thinking about the truths it brings up as I do with other pieces, I was just annoyed. This is because for the entire video, I was just trying to figure out what was going on, and when the ending happened, I felt like a moron. I was even more annoyed at the video for giving me so much time but not giving me any clues. It was so slow, giving me time to look at everything closely, but I wasn’t rewarded for my effort. The whole video felt like it was pulling at me as I waited for the next bit to get into frame or for the person to move just a little bit more. I felt the same way during his other works too, like the Quintet of the Astonished. I didn’t feel their emotion because I was just annoyed waiting for them to hurry up.


This is probably my fault. Maybe it’s impatience. Maybe it’s just me not being able to appreciate art for art’s sake. Maybe I’m too concerned with story where it might not belong.

5 comments:

  1. Learning to read a painting is much different than reading a film. I can see where a moving painting would confuse things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw that picture all I could think about was Awkward Family Photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy in the front right just looked like he was holding in the most painful sneeze to have ever been sneezed.

      Although, I did enjoy the moving paintings a little bit. I thought the way a single emotion was portrayed for so long was really powerful.

      Delete
    2. Emerald and I were literally laughing for like five minutes straight. Thank you for that comparison.
      I agree! It is magical to experience human emotion in this way. Slowing a moment down allows us to appreciate something that tends to be fleeting. Its beautiful and awkward at the same time.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete