Monday, September 30, 2013

Story Telling



   Be warned guys and gals, this one isn’t about any particular story, but on some thoughts and opinions on games and books in general. Thought I would change mine up a bit today. I happen to be a gamer, of any sort, but video games have a special place in my heart. I also love to read, If I didn’t I might not have a place to go home to in this summer (my mom is a librarian…kinda. A masters degree in Library Science is required to have that title...onward from this useless bit of information!) 

  I was just thinking why some people hate games so much, and don’t want others to have the option of playing them (My grandparents have this idea). They say it’s a waste of time, and are just used to escape reality, why not read a book instead?

   Seriously?

   I mean, fiction is a story…like most role playing video games. There are some games that are pretty much time wasters, or party games for playing with friends, but not all are.

   There are some differences in the way the story is told in these mediums though.

   With books you have to use more imagination. There is a tree, but what kind of tree? A majestic tree, or maybe it’s ominous, or an oak tree. You still have to picture the tree, unless the book is a picture book, (but I think most of us are past that) but movement is not pictured.

   With games you actually have to solve the puzzles and mazes yourself. There is no just looking ahead to see how the hero does it (actually there is but its cheating) or how it ends (I am assuming you just have the game, no internet and no guidebook). It’s all play by play…literally

No comments:

Post a Comment