Monday, September 30, 2013

Gloomy Sunday

Sunday's movie night, I watched 'Gloomy Sunday'. The story in the movie is fictional but it was based on a real song (Gloomy Sunday) and the reported suicides that would occur after the song was played. It's no secret that music has the power to bring on a powerful emotional response. There are lots of examples out there to speak of but I'm going to mention only one that came to mind. I remember after the movie 'Titanic' was made and on the news there was a story where a reporter was trying to figure out why women all over America would breakout crying whenever the song from Titanic plays on the radio. I remember thinking back then, that's a pretty powerful emotional response and all it took was around 3 min. of music. But this movie 'Gloomy Sunday' is not just about a song, but also a love triangle that was formed between a lady, a hostess named Ilona and two other men, the restaurant owner, and its pianist. The three was in a tight spot. All three needed each other so they eventually decided to share Ilona. It sounded like everyone in the theater agreed that this love triangle was gross and so wrong (I'm going by all the grounding that our group was making during this particular event in the movie). But I found it interesting that after the pianist committed suicide, a new love triangle formed introducing a photographer turned Nazi Col. He was jealous over the restaurant owners relationship with Ilona and wound up sending him to the concentration camps. Perhaps it would not be wise of me to judge the original relationship, after seeing the alternative. I found this to be a really good movie. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow that seems intense! I'll hafta watch it sometime soon! I regret that I missed this movie :<

    ReplyDelete