Sunday, December 8, 2013

A simple and humble post on my taste in music...MOTOWN all day every day son!!!

Some people will make fun of you for the music you're into but I'm not ashamed to admit that Im not really into to rap or rave music that much. Don't get me wrong, those are cool styles, if fact I think every style has something to offer...except country...sorry taylor swift, your break up beats just ain't my thing. Just kiddin even country has something too offer..just not much ;)

I'm also not ashamed to admit that my main preferred style of music is classic R&B soul/pop. No where. NO WHERE do you find better examples of that style than from good ol' Motown records. Because I hail from the Detroit area, you could make the argument that I'm biased for the music of my beloved motor city...my response being...that ain't all there is to it but it sure helps! 


To express my love for this label Id like to list my top 5 Motown songs. I cant promise that this wont change for me since I find new songs from the label I love all the time. Because each of these songs is so special to me it is difficult to choose one over the others however I will do my best to pick which I think stands out best as the definitive "Motown sound."

5. I want you back-the Jackson 5-1969
Kicking off the list is the song that gave the boy who would become "the king of pop" his humble start. Starting off with a sweeping piano slide, the song kicks into a solid guitar groove backed by a groovy base line. The drums kick in backed by a beautiful orchestra and little Michael Jackson does what he does best. The song made these 5 brothers from Gary, IN an overnight sensation and catapulted them into national stardom.

4. I dont know why I love you-Stevie Wonder-1968

By this time Stevie Wonder had established himself as a solid singer and entertainer. This may not be the most remembered of his songs but in my opinion it is definitely one of the most heartfelt and passionate. Going from silence to a few deep guitar notes, the song slowly gains momentum, from simple guitars for background to a full scale orchestra with a killer brass section as the singer describes his confusion over continually loving a girl who mistreats and cheats on him. Just fantastic.

3. Ain't nothing like the real thing-Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell-1968
This song was part of a series of duets done by well known Motown veterans Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. The song is special because the feelings the two artists had for each other really shine through with the sweeping orchestration and harp playing, all while being assisted by a steady drum beat. Unfortunately Terrell passed away young around the age of 24 or 25, leaving Gaye traumatized, but listening to the beauty of this song can remind us of a happier time in life for these two.

2. Baby I need your lovin'-The Four Tops-1964
This group of friends from Detroit hit it big when they got hired by the biggest label in the country...which just so happened to be in their own city! They had already had a hit by the time this song was released but this gem became one of signature staples the Motown sound. With a strong brass section and a beautiful string section following the drum beat plus the pure soul of Levi Stubb's lead vocals, this song remains a classic for a reason.

1. Ain't too proud too beg-The Temptations-1966
Finally we have no. 1. What can I say. IT'S THE FREAKIN' TEMPTATIONS!! These guys are the singers who set a standard for soul groups who followed. Any vocal group who wanted to be something in soul music copied their flashy dress style and super slick dance choreography. Even the Jackson 5 copied the Temptations when first starting out. In this 66' classic we have the "classic 5" line up of temptation singers, referencing the era when the tempts were at their best. David Ruffin leads with super powerful yet melodic vocals backed by tight drums, bass, guitars, brass, pianos heck even tambourines! This was a real house party song back in the old days, and its not hard to see why. 

These songs remind me of a time when songs were not all about money, drugs and just wanting girls for sex. These songs seem genuine to me, like the singer of each song truly desires their significant other with honest and respectable intentions. They do this with such a great rhythm and talent that I find it near impossible not to love at least one of these songs. Motown is simply the greatest label in music history and these songs and others are the reason why. Thanks for reading, Happy finals week everyone, God bless and Aristos Axiom!



No comments:

Post a Comment