Friday, November 1, 2013

The Mummy

As you know, Halloween was yesterday and instead of going out in the rain to trick or treat, me and my roommate and a few other lovely ladies on our floor watched The Mummy instead. I don't know about you, but I completely love this movie! I grew up watching this movie (along with some others like Indiana Jones, Star Wars, The Scorpion King, and many others) and my family and I quote it all the time! Not only is it a good story: good vs. evil, love, and comic relief, but it also has heart, adventure, and it is just one of those movies that you can watch a billion times and have fun quoting the lines such as a personal favorite of mine: "O'CONNEL, LOOKS TO ME LIKE I'VE GOT ALL THE HORSES." & "HEY BENNY, LOOKS TO ME LIKE YOU'RE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE RIVER." Its a classic guys, just trust me - even though it came out in the late 90s. 



The Mummy stars Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, John Hannah, Arnold Vosloo, and Kevin J. O'Connor. One of the great things about this movie that I have not mentioned before is that it has an Indiana Jones feel to it which makes it fun and entertaining no less! 

I will give a short synopsis of the film and try not to give away really important plot points. The Mummy is about a young, intelligent, British woman, Evelyn who is a librarian in Egypt who has always longed for adventure and archeological discoveries. Her brother, Jonathan brings her an ancient key to something and inside they find a map to Hamunaptra, a once lost city of ancient Egypt rumored to be filled with treasure and the Book of Amun-Ra. She meets Rick O'Connell, who has actually been to Hamunaptra before and saves his life so that he can take her to the mysterious city. One thing leads to another and they eventually get to the city and Evelyn accidentally awakens a mummy who so happens to have been cursed and mummified alive and will now destroy the world it he is not stopped. The rest of the movie is about Evelyn, Rick, and the gang trying to stop the mummy and save the world. 



The Mummy has two sequels: The Mummy Returns, which is pretty decent for a sequel I must say, and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, is just bad. The mummy is not the same and the only two original actors from the first two are Brendan Fraser and John Hannah. The thing that kind of makes me really upset in movie sequels or prequels is when they cast a different actor or actress (for the Mummy it was Weisz who played Evelyn). It just completely destroys the connection with that character and the audience and makes the movie less relatable and entertaining when all I can think about is how much I don't like this new actress because she isn't the original. Plus, the acting was terrible. Sorry for that rant, I'll stop now. 

Overall, The Mummy is a fantastic film that I think people of all ages can enjoy and appreciate (okay maybe not the little kids because of the scenes with the mummy)! If you have not had a chance to watch this awesome film, then watch it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment