Sunday, October 20, 2013

This. Is. Halloween!

     Well not yet, but it's nearly my favorite holiday so I feel the need to blog about it a couple weeks before-hand. "What does this have to do with art?!" Screech some of you angrily as you scroll through the lovely blogs. Well, you see, the costumes are art. And just a wee bit of info, Halloween started out a loooooong time ago as a Catholic holiday known as All Saints Day condensed to All Hallow's Eve then people manufactured it into Halloween and started making money out of it. Kind of like they did with Christmas. But anyway, yes, my family does celebrate Halloween.

     AND THE COSTUMES ARE AMAZING THESE DAYS. Not even just the ones you buy on the racks of the store (and not the slutty ones), but the ones people do themselves are super amazing and in my opinion, require art skills and creativity. BUT NOT JUST THE COSTUMES. The makeup! Sometimes the central focus is the makeup job. And if you're doing it yourself in a mirror, it takes a steady hand. I dressed up for Halloween my senior year with just random purple and black clothing then painted my face as so:
     Not the greatest but it was a fun day. I got my inspiration from someone on Deviantart known as PureBlackLove. Her and another deviant called UnderBlueLights are amazing makeup/costume artists.
 (Why you hate me, picture spacing?)

      Well, I don't know how this affects my life emotionally or has profound meaning, but it is art. You can express yourself in this way, although it seems only socially acceptable to go this far on Halloween.

3 comments:

  1. Our generation has really taken cosplay and transformed it into something really amazing and artistically expressive. It's really cool to think about all that we've invented despite our young age (cosplay, webcomics, etc) and it's kind of cool and a bit scary to think about how we're going to innovate when we're adults in the real world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This generation will generate some crazy adults. xD
      Cosplay these days are amazing, expensive, but amazing. lolz. It's great seeing all age groups get together during a convention and everyone dressing up and not caring what others think. >u<

      Delete
    2. I know right!! There's an anime convention in Chicago the spring of 2014 that I totally wanna go dressed as No Face from Spirited Away and hang out those little golden butterscotch candies xDD

      Delete