Monday, October 28, 2013

The Stain and Mixed Media

I think that “The Stain’s” use of different types of animation worked out very well. It was very interesting that the filmmakers chose to switch to entirely different mediums periodically throughout the work instead of blending them together as we’ve been talking about with other films like “Paperman.” The first time I saw the animation style switch from 2d to clay mation was very jarring, which I think was the desired effect. The mixed media in the film gave me a sense of uneasiness, and the more it switched, the more suspense there was. The switching added to the build up of intensity, aided by the music and the fact that the audience already knows how the story ends. 

This was where I had an issue with the changes in the medium though. For the most part it was disorienting and confusing, but it was still possible to tell what was going on. However, while I was anticipating the ending of the twins shooting themselves, they had a 2d animated sequence where it looked like they already did, only to have them actually do it a bit later. This ruined the suspense for me and made me more confused than I wanted to be. For the rest of the film though, the mixed media format added to the experience. Here's another film where this works well:


No comments:

Post a Comment