Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Iron Giant Review


So, I went to Walmart recently and when I passed by the five dollar movie crate, I just couldn’t resist. As I was digging through the piles, I found one of the movie that I recognized from my childhood: The Iron Giant. I got excited and bought it, of course. Later, as I was watching it with my friend, I was reminded of how awesome this movie was. The Iron Giant is a funny, well-written kids film that everyone should see.

The story is about a young boy named Hogarth Hughes who lives with his single mom in Rockwell, Maine during 1957. One day, when he is home alone, he wanders off into the forest and finds a giant robot eating metal from a power plant. The robot, however, is electrocuted while attempting to eat and gets caught in power lines. Hogarth saves the robot, and no one believes him. Eventually, he and the robot meet again and form a close bond. While all of this is occurring, the government is investigating the damage the robot has caused through an agent named Kent Mansley. He believes that the robot is a potential threat and wishes to wipe it out. However, the iron giant is actually friendly, creating a friendship with the lonely Hogarth and learning about the way of the humans.




The thing I really enjoyed about this film is the fact that it not only is good for kids, but it’s also entertaining for adults. The movie contains some very heavy, dark themes, including gun usage and death. But it also gives us a lighter theme such as “you are who you choose to be”. It incorporates the perfect amount of comedy and emotion, making it one of the most impactful childrens’ films I’ve ever seen. I have a copy of it if anyone is interested in borrowing it. If you have watched the Iron Giant before, you need to.


Not to mention, the movie gave us this awesome meme!!


3 comments:

  1. This is such a spectacular film and easily one of my favorites. I love it because it's one of those movies where you forget it exists for a while, but then when you remember it and rewatch it it's a fantastic experience. I get something new out of it every time! Guess I'd better dash to walmart and get it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I utterly adore and love this movie! I'll have to go and buy it at Walmart now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I utterly adore and love this movie! I'll have to go and buy it at Walmart now!

    ReplyDelete