Friday, August 30, 2013

August 29, 2013 Lecture and Consecutive Films

My Review and Ideas
 
 
The concept regarding a films purpose to challenge or delight is an interesting idea. By challenging the audience a fundamental truth is often revealed, a “penetration of reality” occurs, and a belief system is violated. Films constructed for the sole purpose to delight often involves humor or fairy tale endings. Both concepts I believe to be extremely fascinating and controversial based upon perception.

Devotion - Upon watching this clever and delightful film I kept pondering “what is the relationship between this Hank fellow and the woman?” The opening clip where Hank was restlessly playing with her slipper really puzzled me. I felt as though Hank contained characteristics of obsession, desperation, insecurity, and loneliness. Throughout the film I felt extremely cautious due to Hanks erratic behavior and I felt the pinnacle of the film and story was the revelation of Hanks true identity, the identity of a dog. Upon reflection the audio and mannerisms portrayed by both characters alluded to Hanks identity. I was so puzzled over the slipper that I didn’t even register that it sounded like a dogs tail hitting against the floor. The discovery of Hanks identity increased the humor of the film and served as comic relief for my perception of the film. I felt relief in knowing that Hanks erratic behavior is actually quite innocent rather than plain creepy. This film deconstructs man and dog relationships while also infiltrating a new meaning behind the epithet “man’s best friend.”

Routine- This film contained aspects of challenge and took a heartfelt approach. Being the empathetic that I am, I sincerely appreciated the film and the message. The absence of the husband and father figure in the family was a vital part in the story and really initiated appeal to pathos, especially upon the “routine” and devotion toward the missing family member. The empty dinner plate, the repetitive listening to the answering machine, as well as the daughter’s farewell, at the site of the Twin Towers, to her father really brought the loss of life, in the film, into a tangible concept. I feel as though the film radiated grief and emphasized a technique toward coping, while also deconstructing 911 from a national problem into a familial dilemma of loss.


Gay Boyfriend- Although most may view this film as a delight, I view Gay Boyfriend as a challenging film. First and foremost I believe the film exposes fundamental truths within our culture. I believe this short film deconstructs a stereotype based upon women’s egocentric ideals in which life would be perfect with a man who desired the same occupations and actions as women. I personally dislike stereotypes, and the implication that a woman can only find an estimable man with a “gay boyfriend” frustrates me. Although I did enjoy the truth portrayed in the film I highly disliked the message. The audio itself was extremely annoying and portrayed the desperation of women who have this mentality. I will admit I did enjoy some of the editing and green screening effects, but the message and stereotypes directed toward “gay boyfriends” did not sit well with me.

 
Thanks for reading my review and ideas on the subject. I would love to hear your thoughts too!

God Bless,

Randi Orr

No comments:

Post a Comment