Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Notorious Cliff Hanger

I hate them. The cliff hanger that is. Sure I understand why the are utilized. The cliff hanger provides suspense and offers the audience to take the scene and scenario into perspective and form their own conclusions. I also can see why filmmakers would utilize the notorious cliff hanger. But that does not change my displeasure behind the cliff hanger. I like to have closure on a story and I tend to personally connect with the characters and to be deprived of any form of closure really frustrates me. My biggest frustration of late is Prisoners. A few weeks ago my family came down to Huntington and took me out to watch Prisoners and it was great! Except for the fact (spoiler) that it ended on a cliff hanger. I remember staring at the screen and whispering "turn around" to the cop on the screen. When he finally turned around what happens? The music escalates and the words Prisoner appears then the credits appear!! What is that! It leaves you completely hanging. What happens to Hugh Jackman's character? Does he go to jail? Be reconciled with his family? Its just an unacceptable ending! It does not satisfied my need for closure. As a strategic form of filmmaking ... it is brilliant because it allows the audience to engage in critical thinking and make inferences toward what occurs. As a filmmaking strategy the cliffhanger is a brilliant thing. It will make the audience want to watch a sequel or another work that the filmmaker creates. As a story element the cliff hanger just sucks!

1 comment:

  1. I freaking love cliffhangers!!! This was one of the best! :D The ending of Catching Fire made the movie for me!

    ReplyDelete